Interview

Dave: How's it going? Thanks for sitting down with me this evening.

Revolu: Yeah no problem. Sitting is the easy part. It's the talking I usually have trouble with.

D: Yeah so we'll get into that, but how have you been?

R: Good. Beautiful wife. Dogs. Music. It's all real good.

T: So yeah, we've gotta talk about music and where you're going.

D: Well right now, not much of anywhere. The long distance thing is tough. But writing wise it should be good to have some distance to the music. Unfortunately we all have real jobs, and that is what really waters it down. I should be good at this distance thing as my wife can attest.

D: So it's not new to you?

R: No, of course not. I've always been traveling to something. I guess I get myself in those situations. But this one is difficult. Difficult cos you can see what you want to do, but you've gotta sit still sometimes. You learn a lot in those moments of stillness. Maybe that is what it's all about.

D: Has it helped your sound and growth as a band?

R: Well as for the sound, it is fairly different. More electronic. More loops, pads, textures. There is a lot that we want to have going on and we only have three people. So we have to learn a lot on our own. Pat (lead singer) learned a lot about his equipment and in turn learned a lot about his sound. So there is quite and education to this experience.

As for growth, yeah I think we are growing, but like I said, the distance limits a lot, and it is really hard to see growth actually occuring...like watching a pot of water boil. You just don't want to stand there all day.

D: And you are doing more as well? I mean as a musician.

R: Well you mean in the band?

D: Correct.

R: Well, we all are. Pat does a heck of a lot with his effects, but to achieve what we want to achieve we are all doing more. I've always felt I could do more behind a drum kit than just lay it down. Of course, that is the best part, but I've always had this urge to direct or write...but be the background. I always want to be in the background.

D: No spotlight?

R: Well its kinda funny. We are not a spotlight kind of band. We all just want to play music and let it go. But as we all know, the music business doesn't work that way. And it is a business unfortunately. Most of the bands that get signed to big labels are spotlight bands or they are forced there. There are some bands out there that are changing that, just pushing their music with their raw energy, but it doesn't happen often.

D: And what do you mean by spotlight bands? I mean is it an attitude or an image?

R: Oh definitely an image. I mean that is what people want you to come up with first. "Give me an image of your band." That's why we do interviews.

D: But your background is much more mellow than rock? More mellow than this big spotlight your talking about?

R: Well yeah. First off the spotlight is not necessarily a bad thing. That is, if you can point it at the crowd and leave it there. I think most bands get the tendency to grab the light point it at their guitar, or their drumset or whatever and just leave it there. It doesn't all have to be entertainment. At some point the music has to shine through.

D: Is it always just about the music?

R: No. The music is just a way to get there. I'm not gonna get anywhere sitting in front of a machine all day. I may make lots of money cos I can do it well. But there are a lot of people who can do it well. I don't think we are made for that. I think we are made for something unique. That is what it's all about.

D: Your musical background...

R: Oh right that...the background. (laughs) Yeah. It's always funny to look at where you've come from. Cos I didn't listen to a lot of wierd psychedelic rock or anything. I wasn't really into the Doors or Floyd at an early age. But from the time I was 2 or 3 I can remember my father playing his "Eat a Peach" record by the Allman Brothers. It is one of those records that always sticks with me.

D: The jam band southern sound?

R: Yeah definitely that jam band thing stuck with me in middle school and early high school. I was into the technical drummers like Carter Beauford, Neil Peart, ect. My father listened to Yes a lot so listening to Bill Bruford was a big influence. Lots of early jazz. But that's the thing, I never took lessons. I just watched and imitated. So I'm paying a lot for it now. Making up for all that lost technique. Like I said, it's a never ending musical education.

D: Has music always been at the forefront?

R: Sure, at the end of the day it is always what I come back to. Just ask my wife.

D: I mean is there a specific message you're trying to send...the band that is? Or is it just music? Is there another purpose to it all?

R: Man, everyone is asked that question. I wish I could remember how Dylan answered it. I've...excuse me...we've (the band) have never been in that position. I mean of making a statement if that is what you mean. If we did make one, I would hope that it wouldn't be intentional. At least that's not how I'd go about it. Some people are direct. I'm not one of those people. Dylan wasn't.

D: So Dylan was a big influence?

R: Yeah, in college I got into that alt-country songwriter thing. I mean Dylan's music wasn't even as much of an influence as much as his poetry. Strip one of those songs down to its core. They're powerful. But he was just writing what he felt, not really trying to make a statement or protest. It's a hard thing to do. You can't let your mind get in the way.

D: Do you see that with your generation? Any Dylan's? Any statements?

R: Geeze. I mean America is one flippin billboard isn't it? The last thing we need is more statements.

D: Is there change to be made?

R: Is this where we hit the politics topic?

D: Seemed like a good time to throw that out there.

R: I dunno. I've never wanted to mix the two...politics and music. But yes, change should always take place. But you've gotta approach it with caution. I mean you can make beautiful music with a computer, but you can also do some serious damage with it. It is a tough world we live in. Unfortunately, I think there are some really bad people out there. But there are some really good ones too. I think the latter outweighs the bad.

D: Does that come through in your writing? Your thinking?

R: Sometimes. But a lot of times I just want to talk about college basketball or sports. I mean, its things like that that make life a little lighter.

D: With a real job, is it hard to find time for things like watching college basketball when you juggle music?

R: Well my wife is a huge fan of college basketball. So she is really the release from all that. You can juggle music, but you can't juggle a family. The family will always provide that freedom from all of the so called "juggling." At least, that's how it should be. It's an inherit American ideal I guess...the family. I hope we never lose that part of our heritage.

6 comments:

Patrick said...

yes brent...

"....ohhh ok ...you boys are going to play some music in the basement?..weeeelll allright...ill go get some sweet tea and some gold fish...yall just go ahead on downstairs..."

dave said...

hang on i'll bring the cookies...

Patrick said...

WHO IS DAVE?!?!!??!

YAAAAAAAAAH

pat said...

AAAAHA

YES

i comment on the shakedown from brents own computer...and he does not know it....sucka

now...who is this elusive dave??

Anonymous said...

Man, you are strange.

Anonymous said...

i swear to all that is holy...if you dont tell us who dave is...i will kill you

TUMBLR FEED