Opening to a City

What are the circles round my wrist
No movement
No sound
Darkness is falling
Time for sleeping
------------------------------------
What is this light running through my eyes
My sleep
Was somber
Pick up my shirt
Time for leaving
------------------------------------
I followed and he let me go
Circles gone
Only movement
I hear nothing but silence
The gate is open
------------------------------------
I can walk here with the wind
My feet
On the ground
Footsteps are all I hear
I'm in the city
------------------------------------
Wooden doors separate me
I move
Disbelief
Of my presence
I hear voices
-----------------------------------
And I'm inside
Safety
A curtain tears
No more crying
I'm in the city


I read Acts 12 today. Its speaks of Peter's imprisonment by a dictator. I've read it before, but never carefully, never trying to put myself in that place. To think of imprisonment, it's impossible. But I wrote the lines above to try and get myself in with Peter. All I could think of was how impossible it would feel to see chains put on my hands and then see them slip off without question, without a key. The only part of Peter's journey I could comprehend was being in the city.

-R

1 comment:

thos said...

i think that's a great way to start - putting yourself into somebody else's shoes.

TUMBLR FEED