Last time

I like doing this.

I have 18-1/2 days until the New Year. But I am going to go ahead and list my best albums of 2007. There is a slight change from my last post.

5. Icky Thump - White Stripes
4. The Sheperd's Dog - Iron + Wine
3. Magic - Bruce Springsteen
2. Children Running Through - Patty Griffin
1. In Rainbows - Radiohead

The Honorables:

6. Cease to Begin - Band of Horses
7. All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone - Explosions in the Sky
8. We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank - Modest Mouse
9. Business Men + Ghosts - Working for a Nuclear Free City
10. Wincing the Night Away - The Shins


Biggest disappointments

1. Josh Ritter - blah, thanks Brian
2. Bjork - repeat
3. Avett Brothers - I'm tired of hearing about these guys - Asheville favorites - talented but not me

One's that could make the list, but I just didn't buy:

1. Fiest - I've heard from multiple sources this is a top three or five LP
2. The National - Paste Magazine's Album of the Year
3. Arctic Monkeys
4. Andrew Bird - for you folkies - again heard it is amazing
5. LCD Soundsystem - Sounds of Silver - I'd really like this one I think

One disc I wish I bought in 2006:

1. The Eraser - Thom Yorke

Over-hyped?

1. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible - sorry it is. The whole indie rock crowd is all over the Arcade train. Its good and all, but man, disc of the year? Really? I hear the whole Bruce thing. I read the Spin interview between the Boss and the lead singer from AF. Still. Its not that good back to front.

Waste of money:

1. The Killers - Sawdust - maybe three good songs, one of which is the remix of Mr. Brightside (which a lot of people will say is awful and completely ruins the song - Jess being one of them - OK maybe she didn't say the word "ruin").

Biggest Suprise:

1. Businessmen + Ghost - Working for a Nuclear Free City - great album, thanks T!

Debate ensues - rip it up!

UPDATE (12/17/07) - I forgot to add Eddie Vedder's Into the Wild compositions he did for that excellent movie Into the Wild. Its a solid CD backwards to front, but a bit too short. Also adding my finetune playlist of 2007 to the right hand side.

-R

7 comments:

Brian said...

If I gave you the other Explosions in the sky CD (it was a 2 CD set) Im sure it would jump into the top 5 for you. Over Icky thump at least.

Another Brian said...

I agree Bjorks stuff was awful. Wouldnt suggest it.

Yet Again said...

Top Albums of 2007
5.) Children Running Through - Patty Griffin
4.) In Rainbows - Radiohead
3.) The Reminder - Feist
2.) Easy Tiger - Ryan Adams
1.) Neon Bible - The Arcade Fire

Countrypolitan Lady said...

umm i seriously doubt that anything is jumping over jack white because he actually knows how to play rock and roll not pretend like all the other losers.

i am totally biased. am i a music bigot?

and thom yorke on his own is sad. BELIEVE ME I HAVE HEARD IT TEN THOUSAND TIMES!!!!

blj said...

great list, only one over look- Wilco's Sky Blue Sky. you must have been in a bad mood when you put icky thumb in over this glorious master piece. at least give them a listen, they will make the charts.

Plastic Twig said...

Unbelievable you overlooked the best song of the decade..."Superman by Soulja Boy".

blj said...

i know this may jumping the gun a tad, but here is another in my opinion who can join the lineup late in the year. Sorry for all you indie rock fans, this is a little on the main stream, but marc cohn just made my top list for the year. he may be no radio-head, but you have to appreciate this great lyrical genius.

TUMBLR FEED