Narrow Stairs

Death Cab for Cutie has a new album coming out in May. Their new single "I Will Posses Your Heart" is out now, and in my opinion it is phenomenal. It sums up kind of how I hear songs in my head right now. That is a glorious thing. As a musician, I hear songs + sounds in my head. Sometimes I hear those sounds loudly at night. I mentioned to Jess a few months ago that I couldn't fall asleep one night because I had this song playing through my head and I couldn't get it out. It was as real as having the alarm clock by your ear. I don't mind experiences like that one bit though when that gift allows me to hear + play music like I do.

Ben Gibbard, the lead singer of Death Cab writes a nice candid piece for Paste about some of his musical experiences here:

The Meaning of Life

I don't agree with everything in it, but its an honest piece, and he seems to be looking for good things. He also seems to be making music almost a god, and I know where that can lead (or at least I have an idea - be careful with that closing sentence Ben). I do know plenty of people have been down that road. I also know that this life is about relationships + the risk you take to build those relationships (see the movie Into the Wild).

I find it very hard to accept the wonderful things in my life. My life really is great: I do exactly what I want to do for a living, I have a wonderful person to share my life with, I have a great family, I have great friends. But somehow there’s a void. - Ben Gibbard in PASTE magazine

-r

No comments:

TUMBLR FEED