A confession (skip if needed)

I must confess, my blog has become a method of throwing things into a pot, sifting through them and showing you what I find most interesting. And that, to most people is probably pretty dull. I say this to come to the realization that the thing that I use most to be the most productive, this silly typing machine, is the one thing that distracts me the most.


And most of this is due to my ridiculous overuse of Twitter (and other social networking sites). I'll sit there for 15 minutes reading pointless (though not all pointless) drivel until my mind is turned into mush + expect myself to be productive. We're told (in an Internet age) that we need to "sign up" and/or "register" for the newest thing, especially as a musician the call is very great. This may not be a problem for you, but it can be for me. Due to the simple fact that to be successful in music in this Internet Age, one really needs to push every avenue available (most definitely free ones like social networking sites). And hence my addiction, as I've tried to push music to every outlet possible, I've over consumed myself with information that I don't really need (or most times want).
------------------------------------------------
Why do I mention this here? One, as a confession to my readers + two as a warning. Basically don't do what I did (and will continue to try not to do). Things are always better in moderation. Meaning, I don't think Twitter is really a bad thing, or Facebook (maybe Myspace) or any other social networking site for that matter. As many open tabs that you have on your web browser of choice, you'll never be able to look at, read and process all of them at the EXACT same time.
------------------------------------------------
I read this today + thought it was a good observation from Donald Miller. It was on the topic of belief and it is something that we tend to really screw up, especially me (see above).

And that's when I realized that believing in God is as much like falling in love as it is like making a decision. Love is both something that happens to you and something you decide upon.

I tend to want to be successful at music so badly that I'll put my complete hope + ultimately belief into it. Anything can do this to us (and we all do it). We make something an idol, put our hope in it, it consumes us and eventually spills into those around us. In reality it's something that happens to you and you do something about it. Miller proposes that love is "something that happens to you and something you decide upon," almost suggesting that they take place at the same time.

Now all this is up for debate. I'd like a dialogue on that statement, but in the end I think it's going to come down to a happy balance. You can't really earn love in the end, but you do have to make a conscious effort to love someone or some thing. Whatever it might be. I guess I've just been struck at my own naivety, my complete neglect of myself + how easily I allow myself to be distracted and consumed by the simplest of things (like a blue bird called Tweeter or something). Ultimately, I think it will pull us away from the ones we really love and the things that we really love to do.

Or maybe not. You tell me.

-r


1 comment:

Dana Enzor said...

On your topic of love:
1- I spend 15 mins every morning checking my personal email and google reader. I love it because it connects me to people.

2-I hate my job, so anything I can do that takes up time during those work hours is a blessing to me!

3-I can honestly say that you do not make an idol out of work....seeing as you have none.

4-I twitter not. I blog what I would prob twitter, and that occurance is pretty low in itself, so twitter would probably fall low on the list of "to-do"s.

Overall, good job on putting Silver out there...You do love Silver, so there is that positive spin on something that can be a negative.

TUMBLR FEED