Running Tips: Breathe

"Drawing your exhalations longer will help bring your heart rate down and will engage your parasympathetic nervous system, which helps you relax and recover. Here’s how to learn to draw your exhales longer."

-Sage Rountree @ running.competitor.com


I had no idea. I have known for awhile that breathing patterns were very important in running, but due to a surgery on my nasal cavity (apparently I have a deviated septum that just can't be fixed + it was the most painful thing I've ever been through) I've always had a hard time breathing on runs. It's just one of those things I've ignored over the years. It seems that the most important thing in the article is that there should be an "evenness" between your exhalations + inhalations. Rountree gives you a couple exercises in the article link above + it's well worth the short read.

-r

No comments:

TUMBLR FEED