King of Limbs - Reviewed


When Radiohead's new LP King of Limbs was dropped I refreshed my inbox in hopes of my new download code to glance across the screen, click the bright blue link + find crisp new tunes on my hard drive. With that prefaced, I'm a bit of a Radiohead geek. I own all their records. A few b-sides. A few bootleg concerts. I'm sure there's worse, but before you read any further (God help you) you should know that I think Radiohead are one of the most influential bands of my generation. They are one of my most influential bands in music.

And with that I just received my King of Limbs - Newspaper Edition in the mail yesterday.

It reiterates my previous statement.

King of Limbs seemed to greeted with a bit of skepticism + with an overall attitude of "I don't really know what the fuck this is. I guess it's not their best work." + I'll have to admit, that hit me too. There's a bouncy but subtle opener + the sounds? What is that? Is Thom Yorke breathing in background of that track? How many hand claps are there in this song? Is that a frugal-horn? The questions could go on + then you realize that's the point; layer upon layer upon layer of carefully calculated construction. Whereas most musicians, hot shot producers + engineers would throw money to achieve a track that is layered to the point that it almost sounds diluted, Radiohead channel they're resources into "sounds." Like a painter that carefully decides it's more about the instrument than the actual painting + then produces a masterful work that no one has ever seen.

That's what we have with King of Limbs. Radiohead's shortest work + one that I would rank as one of the best records. There are two sides carefully assembled into two different tones yet cohesive from beginning to end. It grows with each listen + that is what (much like Kid-A) makes it so incredible to listen to.

And then there's the newspaper packaging. It's almost as if the band were planning a sequence of events to their LP. Release the sounds, release the images + then release a document so full of process that the listener can't refuse but to listen to the record again. And so goes the cycle. Within it's pages you find images + words that make you realize that music is so powerful that when it is linked with other mediums it can take us to places unfathomable.

Music
Image
Word

You're given all three here + it's complete. Can you tell I'm a fan?


No comments:

TUMBLR FEED